TfL have launched a consultation to adjust bus routes in Sutton and south Croydon. It's a significant consultation affecting 12 different routes, introducing three new ones and withdrawing one altogether. It's also somewhat complex, especially the way TfL have described it, explained via 14 bullet points, 26 individual impacts and seven maps. The maps are good but don't show how the whole thing fits together, so I suspect most of those who might be affected by the changes won't fully understand how. Allow me to bullet point it differently...
Three major issues are being addressed.
1) Reorganisation of buses around the new London Cancer Hub at the Royal Marsden Hospital
• The London Cancer Hub is a developing science park to the south of Sutton town centre and needs better connections.
• As part of the proposed changes Sutton's existing 'S' routes are to be rationalised, and generally shortened. A new S2 route will be introduced, using a number withdrawn in my part of town in 2008, meaning Sutton will finally have its full complement of S1, S2, S3 and S4.
• The S1 will be nudged to serve the hospital rather than Belmont station.
• The S2 takes over what's currently the northern half of the S4.
• The southern half of the S3 is taken over by the 413.
• The remaining half of the S4 is extended northeast towards IKEA, replacing half of the 455.
• Additionally the S2 extends to High Down Prison to replace the 80, which is being curtailed slightly to terminate at the hospital.
• The 164 may be extended to the hospital at a later date.
• The before/after map is mine, not TfL's, so my apologies if it's incorrect.
2) Reorganisation of buses between Purley and Caterham
• The 407, which currently doglegs from Sutton to Caterham, will be halved in length to operate between Sutton and Croydon only.
• The southern half of the 407, from Croydon to Caterham, becomes new route 443.
• Another new route, the 439, will link Waddon Marsh via Purley Way to almost-Caterham.
• The 434 will be extended from almost-Caterham to Caterham, and divert round previously unserved streets in Kenley.
3) Withdrawal of route 455
• The 455 is a wildly circuitous route from Carshalton to Purley via Croydon. It dies.
• The western half of the 455 is taken over by the S4, as previously discussed, but only as far as Waddon Marsh.
• The southern half of the 455 is replaced by a diverted 166 as far as Purley, then an extended 312 to the terminus at Old Lodge Lane.
There are also minor tweaks to:
• the S1 in St Helier (away from backroads so it can be operated with longer buses)
• the S3 and 470 near Sutton Common station (to provide more direct journeys)
The consultation closes on 29th November. If you have strong opinions, and nothing else to do, it deserves your attention.