Friday, September 13, 2002
TotP 2000: The number 2000 has recently been associated with many crass and embarrassing projects that promised much and delivered little - the Millennium Dome, the Millennium Bridge and the Y2K bug spring to mind, amongst others. Now we can add the 2000th edition of Top of the Pops to that list.
• Whose idea was it to invite Status Quo to open the show? Are they not dead yet? Was the producer maybe trying to get everyone to turn off?
• Who invited Darius to appear on film to congratulate everyone, given that he'd not even appeared on the show before number 1995?
• Does the the lead singer of N-Trance really think she can sing? I've rarely heard a more convincing argument for the reintroduction of miming.
• Who paired Tom Jones up with Wyclef? Even Robbie Williams and Geri Halliwell make a more convincing couple.
• Was that Legs and Co dancing in luminous orange diving suits, or has Michael Barrymore slipped something in my tea?
• If the White Stripes are described as 'cutting edge', does that explain why I considered the use of razor blades halfway through their 'song'?
• Who is that appalling new female presenter? She makes even Peter Powell's presentational skills look impressive.
• Why did the edited highlights of the last 2000 shows concentrate far too much on the last four years and not enough on the thirty before that?
• Is everyone editing their songs down to two minutes in length in case the modern teenage audience gets bored and swaps channels?
• Which 80s classic will Atomic Kitten massacre next? Maybe a Blondie fan will massacre Atomic Kitten first.
• And will anybody remember even one of these groups when the 3000th TotP comes round in 2022?
...or read more in my monthly archives
Jan15 Feb15 Mar15 Apr15 May15 Jun15 Jul15 Aug15 Sep15 Oct15 Nov15 Dec15
Jan14 Feb14 Mar14 Apr14 May14 Jun14 Jul14 Aug14 Sep14 Oct14 Nov14 Dec14
Jan13 Feb13 Mar13 Apr13 May13 Jun13 Jul13 Aug13 Sep13 Oct13 Nov13 Dec13
Jan12 Feb12 Mar12 Apr12 May12 Jun12 Jul12 Aug12 Sep12 Oct12 Nov12 Dec12
Jan11 Feb11 Mar11 Apr11 May11 Jun11 Jul11 Aug11 Sep11 Oct11 Nov11 Dec11
Jan10 Feb10 Mar10 Apr10 May10 Jun10 Jul10 Aug10 Sep10 Oct10 Nov10 Dec10
Jan09 Feb09 Mar09 Apr09 May09 Jun09 Jul09 Aug09 Sep09 Oct09 Nov09 Dec09
Jan08 Feb08 Mar08 Apr08 May08 Jun08 Jul08 Aug08 Sep08 Oct08 Nov08 Dec08
Jan07 Feb07 Mar07 Apr07 May07 Jun07 Jul07 Aug07 Sep07 Oct07 Nov07 Dec07
Jan06 Feb06 Mar06 Apr06 May06 Jun06 Jul06 Aug06 Sep06 Oct06 Nov06 Dec06
Jan05 Feb05 Mar05 Apr05 May05 Jun05 Jul05 Aug05 Sep05 Oct05 Nov05 Dec05
Jan04 Feb04 Mar04 Apr04 May04 Jun04 Jul04 Aug04 Sep04 Oct04 Nov04 Dec04
Jan03 Feb03 Mar03 Apr03 May03 Jun03 Jul03 Aug03 Sep03 Oct03 Nov03 Dec03
Jan02 Feb02 Mar02 Apr02 May02 Jun02 Jul02 Aug02 Sep02 Oct02 Nov02 Dec02