diamond geezer

 Thursday, November 17, 2011

On 17 November 1311, 700 years ago today, the Bishop of Stepney issued a licence for the building of a new chapel. It was to be situated on the main road east out of London, near the bridge over the River Lea, in the growing settlement of Stratford-atte-Bowe. Villagers were fed up of having to walk from Bow to Stepney and back each Sunday to go to church, so a new church made ecclesiastical sense. It took a few years to find sufficient money and an appropriate site, but eventually Edward III granted a piece of land "in the middle of the King's Highway" and the first Bow Church was born. The A11 hasn't gone away, and still surrounds the medieval building on either side. And parishioners still bear witness here, seven centuries on, at "the church in the middle of the road".

It's not the church with the Bow Bells, nor the church at the end of the Oranges and Lemons rhyme. That's St Mary-le-Bow in Cheapside, four miles away in the City of London. But this doesn't stop tourists coming to St Mary's in Bow by mistake, lured in by the DLR (this being one of the very few churches in London with a station named after it). Visitors can't gain access to the interior unless they turn up on the first Saturday of the month, so won't see the fine beamed roof, the whitewashed arches along the nave and the stained glass window behind the altar with its hidden wildlife (owl, cat, mouse, look harder, squirrel). One of only two surviving medieval churches in Tower Hamlets, this is a charming building with a chequered back history.
1311: A licence is issued for a chapel of ease in St Dunstan's, Stepney parish by Bishop Ralph Baldock, "unam Capellam in vico Regio vocato Stratford"
1490: The chapel is enlarged, and the main body of the present church is built
1555: Local Protestant Elizabeth Warren is accused of heresy and burnt at the stake outside the church
1624: The medieval font is ripped out (it's since been reinstated after three centuries in the vicarage back garden)
1719: Bow Chapel finally becomes a parish church in its own right
1829: The tower is severely damaged in a great storm, and the upper half has to be rebuilt
1900: After a long period of decay, the church is repaired and refurbished
1941: The tower and western half of the church are smashed in a raid on the last night of the Blitz
1951: Princess Elizabeth visits the restored building, now with a white turret atop the half-ancient, half-modern tower
2011: The interior of the church is refurbished (again) to celebrate its 700th anniversary
The area around the church has changed dramatically too. Various houses, an inn and Bow's market hall were once tightly packed alongside, with the main road passing by to north and south. In 1789 a complaint was made that the church was "a great obstacle in a much frequented thoroughfare", forcing carriages to separate and causing "frequent stoppages". If easing traffic flow had been the order of the day, St Mary's would have been doomed to demolition long before now. It wasn't until 1825 that the area around the church was cleared of buildings and the present churchyard created. This somehow survived the coming of the flyover in the 1960s, although the rear of the churchyard is now rarely accessed, tapering to an artificial point between encroaching tarmac.

2011 finds Bow Church in a state of flux. The last Rector, Michael Peet, died in April after a long illness. He was the life and soul of the parish, and had been masterminding plans for commemorating today's 700th anniversary. He'd have loved the pageant which took place in the church in September, based on historic characters brought to life in the Reverend's book. And he'd have been in his element at last night's torchlight celebration. Tealights had been lit all the way along the path from the Gladstone statue, awaiting the Bishop of Stepney's arrival, while the congregation stood around outside the front door sipping refreshments. Someone had brought along a few cheap sparklers, which spluttered for a few seconds before extinguishing prematurely. And all the time Bow's non-famous bells rang out, no doubt annoying the hell out of various local residents who didn't realise the significance of today's date.

The 700th anniversary falls slap bang in the middle of the parish's search for a new priest. You may have caught the advert in the Church Times.
Bow Church is on the doorstep of the Olympic Park and serves a diverse community in a vibrant but challenging part of East London. The new Rector will relish this challenge, bringing energy and vision to the many opportunities for outreach in the parish. The small but resilient congregation requires a leader in mission to grow the church and engage with the local community. The historic church building has been refurbished this year - its 700th anniversary - and there is a sense of a new page of history being turned. This is a real opportunity for someone who thrives in an urban environment, is open-minded and outward-looking. The new incumbent will be comfortable with a central churchmanship which is inclusive and engaged.
For those interested, there's even a special brochure packed with all the details a would-be community leader might need. It's remarkably honest, and lays bare the challenges of ministry in a multicultural inner city. Nearly twenty thousand people live in the parish, but only thirty or so regularly turn up for communion every Sunday. It used to be forty before the vicar fell ill, and the congregation have really pulled together to keep regular services and worship going during the interregnum. But in recent years the church has only ever hosted two or three weddings a year, maybe ten or so baptisms, which isn't what you'd expect looking at the imposing exterior. There's a genuine challenge here - to make Bow's ancient church a relevant part of the surrounding community, and to continue seven unbroken centuries of devoted ministry. Applications for the post close on Friday next week. Middle of the road candidates need not apply.


<< click for Newer posts

click for Older Posts >>


click to return to the main page


...or read more in my monthly archives
Jan17  Feb17  Mar17
Jan16  Feb16  Mar16  Apr16  May16  Jun16  Jul16  Aug16  Sep16  Oct16  Nov16  Dec16
Jan15  Feb15  Mar15  Apr15  May15  Jun15  Jul15  Aug15  Sep15  Oct15  Nov15  Dec15
Jan14  Feb14  Mar14  Apr14  May14  Jun14  Jul14  Aug14  Sep14  Oct14  Nov14  Dec14
Jan13  Feb13  Mar13  Apr13  May13  Jun13  Jul13  Aug13  Sep13  Oct13  Nov13  Dec13
Jan12  Feb12  Mar12  Apr12  May12  Jun12  Jul12  Aug12  Sep12  Oct12  Nov12  Dec12
Jan11  Feb11  Mar11  Apr11  May11  Jun11  Jul11  Aug11  Sep11  Oct11  Nov11  Dec11
Jan10  Feb10  Mar10  Apr10  May10  Jun10  Jul10  Aug10  Sep10  Oct10  Nov10  Dec10 
Jan09  Feb09  Mar09  Apr09  May09  Jun09  Jul09  Aug09  Sep09  Oct09  Nov09  Dec09
Jan08  Feb08  Mar08  Apr08  May08  Jun08  Jul08  Aug08  Sep08  Oct08  Nov08  Dec08
Jan07  Feb07  Mar07  Apr07  May07  Jun07  Jul07  Aug07  Sep07  Oct07  Nov07  Dec07
Jan06  Feb06  Mar06  Apr06  May06  Jun06  Jul06  Aug06  Sep06  Oct06  Nov06  Dec06
Jan05  Feb05  Mar05  Apr05  May05  Jun05  Jul05  Aug05  Sep05  Oct05  Nov05  Dec05
Jan04  Feb04  Mar04  Apr04  May04  Jun04  Jul04  Aug04  Sep04  Oct04  Nov04  Dec04
Jan03  Feb03  Mar03  Apr03  May03  Jun03  Jul03  Aug03  Sep03  Oct03  Nov03  Dec03
 Jan02  Feb02  Mar02  Apr02  May02  Jun02  Jul02 Aug02  Sep02  Oct02  Nov02  Dec02 

eXTReMe Tracker
jack of diamonds
life viewed from london e3

email    twitter    G+

my flickr photostream