diamond geezer

 Tuesday, August 11, 2026

I opened my first bank account when I was ten days old. I still have the receipt.



Obviously it wasn't me who marched into the Post Office in Croxley Green and deposited a tenner, I presume it was a parent, but I thank them for starting me on the savings path early. They also bought me my first Premium Bond at the same time, just the £1 but it would repay the investment with a £50 prize thirty years later so even more thanks for that.

My Post Office Savings Bank Book arrived shortly afterwards. It had a blue cover and several pages within, all chopped at the top so my name and address on the inside cover was always legible. Each double page had space for eight transactions - deposits on the left and withdrawals on the right - with eight separate spaces for the obligatory date stamp. Everything came with datestamps in those days, rotated every morning by the clerk and pressed firmly onto an inky pad before jabbing down onto the page.

So began a series of deposits, dutifully transcribed. When I got some money as a gift, say for a birthday, I'd troop up the road to the post office and hand it over, receiving a handwritten line in my book in return. The biggest deposit I ever made was after my grandmother died and left me a three figure sum - unimaginable wealth for a nine year-old! Occasionally I took money out but mainly this was a savings account, set up so that a tiny nestegg could accumulate as I grew.

After sixth form I got a summer job doing routine things in a warehouse in Harlesden, and needed somewhere better to put the money. I thus opened my second bank account when I was eighteen years old. I still have the letter.



It took a while to set things up because the first time I applied they thought I was under 18 and refused to progress the application further. I had to contact someone in Bootle to move things along, and by the time the acceptance letter arrived I'd already been paid. It seems amazing these days how much was done by post but the post was so much more reliable in those days, indeed I received the introductory letter the day after they sent it. I can still recite the account number off by heart.

Girobank was also operated by the General Post Office, commencing operations in 1968 and unique at the time for being fully computerised. Initially it made a trading loss but by the time I joined in the 1980s it was well on its way to becoming Britain's sixth biggest bank. It operated mostly via cheques and post office counters, and much use was made of white Postage Paid envelopes - every Girobank member had a stash. The Bootle address alas no longer exists, the former HQ having been demolished in 2024.



I sent off my first pay cheque by return of post and was soon in credit to the tune of £144.42. The bank's second letter thanked me for my deposit and enclosed a Girobank card which would allow me "to cash cheques up to £50 every other working day at either of the two post offices shown on the card". There were no cashpoints for Girobank members in those days, instead I had to write myself a cheque, and I see from the stubs in my cheque book that these were usually for £25 and comprised roughly half of all the cheques I wrote. Meanwhile cheque number 18 paid the deposit on a canal holiday (£26.00), cheque 23 paid for university accommodation (£238.37) and cheque 68 paid London Transport for three all-stations tickets (£36).

I opened my third bank account when I was twenty-three years old. I've still got the opening statement.



I'd recently started my first full-time job and was eyeing up a better rate of interest. I'd had an Abbey National savings account for some time but this was an opportunity to open a current account with them too. That meant I could transfer money from one to the other as necessary, and hopefully build up enough reserves to be able to afford a mortgage one day. The interest rate was 12% back then so mortgages were scary, but equally savings would ramp up very quickly so it paid to stash cash away.

On that day in October 1988 I walked into Windsor town centre wearing my finest pair of white trousers, and was aghast on Clarence Road when a dog called Snoopy leapt up and muddied them with his paws. I entered Abbey National somewhat abashed and waited quite a long time while they opened my bank account and linked it to those I already had, then celebrated by going shopping in Reading. My opening deposit was £10, which by Christmas had edged up to £10.05 thanks to a smidgeon of interest, but the account really came into its own when the first pay cheque arrived (£633.32). A house would follow three years later.

I upgraded to the Abbey National Telephone Banking Service in June 1999. I still have the letter but I won't burden you with it. I wrote my very last cheque on 3rd January 2006 to pay an insurance bill, having only written three in the previous two years. I upgraded to online banking in March 2012, a change triggered by the sending of two letters containing separate verification codes. I still haven't upgraded to mobile banking because I'd rather not carry the key to my savings everywhere I go. I get far far fewer letters than I used to, which is very much how the bank likes it.

And during this period Abbey National evolved until it wasn't Abbey National any more. They demutualised in July 1989, the first UK building society to take the private plunge. Alas I decided to sell my £130 allocation of shares straight away, making a profit of 70p, whereas I could have got ten times that if I'd hung onto them until 2000 (after which consumer confidence stuttered somewhat). The company rebranded as just 'abbey' in 2003, lower case, the logo written in a variety of jaunty colours. Then in November 2004 Abbey National was acquired by Banco Santander, Spain's largest bank, and so began the slow crawl to elimination.



They got rid of the jaunty colours and switched the bank's logo to the parent company's flame. Then on 10th January 2010 they ditched the Abbey name altogether and switched everything over to Santander. That same year Bradford and Bingley and Alliance & Leicester were swallowed up, both former building societies that overstretched, and today they're all lost within the embrace of a foreign institution with firmer foundations. I don't think the switch to Santander counts as my fourth bank account, but yes I have the letter anyway.

I have financial inertia so have essentially stuck with the same bank for over 35 years, despite the fact it may not necessarily be the best fit for my money. I like the fact I know how their systems work, also that there's still a branch within walking distance, also that they've never forced me to use some ridiculous electronic gizmo in order to access my money. I should probably hunt down the best deal and open a fourth bank account anyway, maybe even a fifth in a year's time to keep on top of the best rates of interest, but my dislike of faff has kept me loyal to a bank that's not even called what it used to be.



I kept my Girobank account open until 30th October 2000, barely ticking over, then transferred my last funds across to Abbey National. By that time Girobank had been part of Alliance & Leicester for over ten years, the Thatcher government being unable to hold onto any national asset without selling it off. And Alliance & Leicester was of course also swallowed by Santander after the financial crash, thus it turns out the destinies of both Abbey National and Girobank were ultimately the same. No matter which bank account I'd kept open everything ultimately ended up on the north coast of Spain, and all because bank bosses are keener on switching banks than I am.


<< click for Newer posts

click for Older Posts >>


click to return to the main page


...or read more in my monthly archives
Jan26  Feb26  Mar26  Apr26  May26  Jun26  Jul26  Aug26  Sep26
Jan25  Feb25  Mar25  Apr25  May25  Jun25  Jul25  Aug25  Sep25  Oct25  Nov25  Dec25
Jan24  Feb24  Mar24  Apr24  May24  Jun24  Jul24  Aug24  Sep24  Oct24  Nov24  Dec24
Jan23  Feb23  Mar23  Apr23  May23  Jun23  Jul23  Aug23  Sep23  Oct23  Nov23  Dec23
Jan22  Feb22  Mar22  Apr22  May22  Jun22  Jul22  Aug22  Sep22  Oct22  Nov22  Dec22
Jan21  Feb21  Mar21  Apr21  May21  Jun21  Jul21  Aug21  Sep21  Oct21  Nov21  Dec21
Jan20  Feb20  Mar20  Apr20  May20  Jun20  Jul20  Aug20  Sep20  Oct20  Nov20  Dec20
Jan19  Feb19  Mar19  Apr19  May19  Jun19  Jul19  Aug19  Sep19  Oct19  Nov19  Dec19
Jan18  Feb18  Mar18  Apr18  May18  Jun18  Jul18  Aug18  Sep18  Oct18  Nov18  Dec18
Jan17  Feb17  Mar17  Apr17  May17  Jun17  Jul17  Aug17  Sep17  Oct17  Nov17  Dec17
Jan16  Feb16  Mar16  Apr16  May16  Jun16  Jul16  Aug16  Sep16  Oct16  Nov16  Dec16
Jan15  Feb15  Mar15  Apr15  May15  Jun15  Jul15  Aug15  Sep15  Oct15  Nov15  Dec15
Jan14  Feb14  Mar14  Apr14  May14  Jun14  Jul14  Aug14  Sep14  Oct14  Nov14  Dec14
Jan13  Feb13  Mar13  Apr13  May13  Jun13  Jul13  Aug13  Sep13  Oct13  Nov13  Dec13
Jan12  Feb12  Mar12  Apr12  May12  Jun12  Jul12  Aug12  Sep12  Oct12  Nov12  Dec12
Jan11  Feb11  Mar11  Apr11  May11  Jun11  Jul11  Aug11  Sep11  Oct11  Nov11  Dec11
Jan10  Feb10  Mar10  Apr10  May10  Jun10  Jul10  Aug10  Sep10  Oct10  Nov10  Dec10
Jan09  Feb09  Mar09  Apr09  May09  Jun09  Jul09  Aug09  Sep09  Oct09  Nov09  Dec09
Jan08  Feb08  Mar08  Apr08  May08  Jun08  Jul08  Aug08  Sep08  Oct08  Nov08  Dec08
Jan07  Feb07  Mar07  Apr07  May07  Jun07  Jul07  Aug07  Sep07  Oct07  Nov07  Dec07
Jan06  Feb06  Mar06  Apr06  May06  Jun06  Jul06  Aug06  Sep06  Oct06  Nov06  Dec06
Jan05  Feb05  Mar05  Apr05  May05  Jun05  Jul05  Aug05  Sep05  Oct05  Nov05  Dec05
Jan04  Feb04  Mar04  Apr04  May04  Jun04  Jul04  Aug04  Sep04  Oct04  Nov04  Dec04
Jan03  Feb03  Mar03  Apr03  May03  Jun03  Jul03  Aug03  Sep03  Oct03  Nov03  Dec03
 Jan02  Feb02  Mar02  Apr02  May02  Jun02  Jul02 Aug02  Sep02  Oct02  Nov02  Dec02 
















jack of diamonds
Life viewed from London E3

» email me
» follow me on twitter
» follow the blog on twitter
» follow the blog on Bluesky
» follow the blog on RSS

» my flickr photostream

twenty blogs
our bow
arseblog
ian visits
londonist
on london
blue witch
the great wen
london centric
edith's streets
spitalfields life
fifteensquared
linkmachinego
round the island
wanstead meteo
christopher fowler
bus and train user
ruth's coastal walk
the greenwich wire
round the rails we go
london reconnections

quick reference features
Things to do in Outer London
Things to do outside London
London's waymarked walks
Inner London toilet map
20 years of blog series
The DG Tour of Britain
London's most...

read the archive
Sep26
Aug26  Jul26  Jun26  May26
Apr26  Mar26  Feb26  Jan26
Dec25  Nov25  Oct25  Sep25
Aug25  Jul25  Jun25  May25
Apr25  Mar25  Feb25  Jan25
Dec24  Nov24  Oct24  Sep24
Aug24  Jul24  Jun24  May24
Apr24  Mar24  Feb24  Jan24
Dec23  Nov23  Oct23  Sep23
Aug23  Jul23  Jun23  May23
Apr23  Mar23  Feb23  Jan23
Dec22  Nov22  Oct22  Sep22
Aug22  Jul22  Jun22  May22
Apr22  Mar22  Feb22  Jan22
Dec21  Nov21  Oct21  Sep21
Aug21  Jul21  Jun21  May21
Apr21  Mar21  Feb21  Jan21
Dec20  Nov20  Oct20  Sep20
Aug20  Jul20  Jun20  May20
Apr20  Mar20  Feb20  Jan20
Dec19  Nov19  Oct19  Sep19
Aug19  Jul19  Jun19  May19
Apr19  Mar19  Feb19  Jan19
Dec18  Nov18  Oct18  Sep18
Aug18  Jul18  Jun18  May18
Apr18  Mar18  Feb18  Jan18
Dec17  Nov17  Oct17  Sep17
Aug17  Jul17  Jun17  May17
Apr17  Mar17  Feb17  Jan17
Dec16  Nov16  Oct16  Sep16
Aug16  Jul16  Jun16  May16
Apr16  Mar16  Feb16  Jan16
Dec15  Nov15  Oct15  Sep15
Aug15  Jul15  Jun15  May15
Apr15  Mar15  Feb15  Jan15
Dec14  Nov14  Oct14  Sep14
Aug14  Jul14  Jun14  May14
Apr14  Mar14  Feb14  Jan14
Dec13  Nov13  Oct13  Sep13
Aug13  Jul13  Jun13  May13
Apr13  Mar13  Feb13  Jan13
Dec12  Nov12  Oct12  Sep12
Aug12  Jul12  Jun12  May12
Apr12  Mar12  Feb12  Jan12
Dec11  Nov11  Oct11  Sep11
Aug11  Jul11  Jun11  May11
Apr11  Mar11  Feb11  Jan11
Dec10  Nov10  Oct10  Sep10
Aug10  Jul10  Jun10  May10
Apr10  Mar10  Feb10  Jan10
Dec09  Nov09  Oct09  Sep09
Aug09  Jul09  Jun09  May09
Apr09  Mar09  Feb09  Jan09
Dec08  Nov08  Oct08  Sep08
Aug08  Jul08  Jun08  May08
Apr08  Mar08  Feb08  Jan08
Dec07  Nov07  Oct07  Sep07
Aug07  Jul07  Jun07  May07
Apr07  Mar07  Feb07  Jan07
Dec06  Nov06  Oct06  Sep06
Aug06  Jul06  Jun06  May06
Apr06  Mar06  Feb06  Jan06
Dec05  Nov05  Oct05  Sep05
Aug05  Jul05  Jun05  May05
Apr05  Mar05  Feb05  Jan05
Dec04  Nov04  Oct04  Sep04
Aug04  Jul04  Jun04  May04
Apr04  Mar04  Feb04  Jan04
Dec03  Nov03  Oct03  Sep03
Aug03  Jul03  Jun03  May03
Apr03  Mar03  Feb03  Jan03
Dec02  Nov02  Oct02  Sep02
back to main page

the diamond geezer index
2025 2024 2023 2022
2021 2020 2019 2018 2017
2016 2015 2014 2013 2012
2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
2006 2005 2004 2003 2002

my special London features
a-z of london museums
E3 - local history month
greenwich meridian (N)
greenwich meridian (S)
the real eastenders
london's lost rivers
olympic park 2007
great british roads
oranges & lemons
random boroughs
bow road station
high street 2012
river westbourne
trafalgar square
capital numbers
east london line
lea valley walk
olympics 2005
regent's canal
square routes
silver jubilee
unlost rivers
cube routes
Herbert Dip
metro-land
capital ring
river fleet
piccadilly
bakerloo

ten of my favourite posts
the seven ages of blog
my new Z470xi mobile
five equations of blog
the dome of doom
chemical attraction
quality & risk
london 2102
single life
boredom
april fool

ten sets of lovely photos
my "most interesting" photos
london 2012 olympic zone
harris and the hebrides
betjeman's metro-land
marking the meridian
tracing the river fleet
london's lost rivers
inside the gherkin
seven sisters
iceland

just surfed in?
here's where to find...
diamond geezers
flash mob #1  #2  #3  #4
ben schott's miscellany
london underground
watch with mother
cigarette warnings
digital time delay
wheelie suitcases
war of the worlds
transit of venus
top of the pops
old buckenham
ladybird books
acorn antiques
digital watches
outer hebrides
olympics 2012
school dinners
pet shop boys
west wycombe
bletchley park
george orwell
big breakfast
clapton pond
san francisco
thunderbirds
routemaster
children's tv
east enders
trunk roads
amsterdam
little britain
credit cards
jury service
big brother
jubilee line
number 1s
titan arum
typewriters
doctor who
coronation
comments
blue peter
matchgirls
hurricanes
buzzwords
brookside
monopoly
peter pan
starbucks
feng shui
leap year
manbags
bbc three
vision on
piccadilly
meridian
concorde
wembley
islington
ID cards
bedtime
freeview
beckton
blogads
eclipses
letraset
arsenal
sitcoms
gherkin
calories
everest
muffins
sudoku
camilla
london
ceefax
robbie
becks
dome
BBC2
paris
lotto
118
itv