diamond geezer

 Tuesday, September 29, 2026

30 unblogged things I did on September 28th

Mon 28: When I went to make my first cuppa of the day the tap spluttered to life, suggesting the water supply had been off overnight, but thankfully it powered back into action and I got my hot mug.
Mon 28: Annoyed that it took me four goes to guess today's Daily Metro, I should definitely have got it in three.
Mon 28: [gets on scales] A month ago I mentioned I'd put on three pounds during my holiday in Spain and it hadn't shifted. It still hasn't, indeed the last time I weighed this much was April 2020. I've decided not to buy any chocolate biscuits in Tesco this morning to see if that helps.
Mon 28: My blogpost on Reading's Bayeux Tapestry has been picked up by the Hacker News aggregator portal and as a result has had thousands of extra readers. Amongst the comments are the inevitable "As an aside, I see that this blog has been around from early 2000s, and has been regularly updated, almost every day. Quite fascinating...", also "Jesus, you're not wrong. Click any random month from the last 20 years and there's a post from practically every day", also "Out of interest, how do people find these 'hidden gem' sites? I'd never find these from google".

Mon 28: I think that's a record for "the number of bikes I've seen ignoring the traffic lights at the Bow Roundabout over a ten second period", easily double figures.
Mon 28: They've moved the mushrooms again, I wish they'd stop moving the mushrooms.
Mon 28: Managed to pick up the only cucumber that didn't have a barcode on it, had to get help.
Mon 28: Ah, the till wants my PIN number. Bugger I've got it wrong, maybe I mistyped. Bugger I've got it wrong again, maybe I got it round the wrong way. OK, I can't afford to get it wrong again, I'm sure it's this... bugger I've got it wrong again. Thankfully I had cash in my wallet, otherwise I'd have had to leave £40 of groceries behind.
Mon 28: I think that's the first time I've ever carried five bags home from the supermarket.

Mon 28: My building society won't let me check my PIN number online, I can only do that in their app, which I don't have. Thankfully I keep a lot of paperwork, including the letter my building society sent me in 2018 with my card's new PIN number, the one they told me I should definitely destroy. Yes that's what I thought it was.
Mon 28: According to the Royal Mint, their new six-colour 50p piece is "the first time Cluedo has been honoured on an official UK coin". Well of course it is you greedy desperate money-grabbers, of course it is.
Mon 28: You don't have to guess where the 'tower and two trains' picture was taken. Every photo on diamondgeezer has alt text if you hover over it.

Mon 28: The local company that used to be called Jim'll Mixit, and is now just Mixit, has flyposted adverts on the hoardings that still surround the derelict gents lavatory at Bow Church.
Mon 28: If'd you'd looked before you pressed the button you'd have seen there was no traffic coming so could have crossed anyway. Now the lights are going to change pointlessly in maybe 15 seconds time and inconvenience drivers, unnecessarily increasing transport entropy.
Mon 28: Oh god it's the 9.45am nightmare of an entire class of schoolchildren piling into your train carriage, and suddenly that's every seat taken and several small hands clutching the pole beside you. But in this case the teachers are totally on top of things, the children are perfectly behaved and I hope they had an excellent visit somewhere in the Westminster area.
Mon 28: Why do stations in west London have flower stalls outside while stations in east London never do? [rhetorical]



Mon 28: There are adverts all over the tube for a new TfL campaign with the strapline 'The stop is just the start'. Apparently it's supported by "a multi-channel roll out across TV, OOH, cinema, social, print, digital and CRM", and agency VCCP reckon it's "by far and away some of the best work we've ever done with TfL". But I'm not sure how effectively the main message is going to hit home. “We needed to give people an emotional connection to the network that feels inspiring and inviting. By showing that every bus, Tube, train or tram stop is just the start of a new adventure or connection, we’re reminding Londoners that TfL is the key to getting out and truly experiencing the city.” I was thinking of writing a whole post about it but it's not really interesting enough.

Mon 28: Got on a Richmond train at Earl's Court because five minutes ago it had said the next train was to Wimbledon and I failed to notice they'd switched platforms. Was punished for my error when the smelly man opposite took off his shoes.
Mon 28: On the bus we passed the All England Lawn Tennis Club, its 42 acres mostly inert because it's out of season. What a waste of land this is for eleven months of the year, flowering for just one. And I wondered if there are any other examples of enormous tracts of land used only briefly, seasonally, that could potentially be housing instead.
Mon 28: On my Superloop journey across Sutton I listened to an interesting Radio 4 documentary about the 1976 IMF crisis. I think I was too young to understand it at the time. Denis Healey comes out of it quite well and only says 'silly billy' once.
Mon 28: Picked up a London Heritage Quarter walking map at London Bridge station, which isn't even in the London Heritage Quarter, and just like Midtown the name's never going to catch on is it?
Mon 28: During today's journey round London I've managed to read 80% of a best-selling hardback thriller. That's annoying because the remaining 20% isn't going to sustain me on tomorrow's journey so I'll need to take two books.

Mon 28: It's 25 years since I sold my car, which is perhaps just as well now the price of a litre of diesel has reached a record-breaking £2. It was 79p back then.
Mon 28: If I keep chucking things out at this rate, I'm going to have to buy some more bin bags.
Mon 28: It may not be normal to have mint sauce on fish but that's one of the benefits of living by yourself.
Mon 28: I only checked my spam email because it's was a plot point in a soap opera, otherwise I might never have seen your message about the Letraset I sadly don't have.
Mon 28: I enjoyed watching the first episode of Michael Palin's new travel documentary on Channel 5, in which he travels across the nefarious inequality of the Philippines archipelago. He has a knack of illuminating both the good and bad sides of an unfamiliar country without appearing judgemental. Nobody else would get a tour of the presidential palace simply because the president wanted to ask a question about the Fish Slapping Dance.

Mon 28: Disappointed that nobody left a comment pointing out that if Flamsted Avenue in Tokyngton really is named after a west Hertfordshire village, they spelt it wrong.
Mon 28: Excited to report that the naff Brent climate change video I linked to yesterday has had 40 extra views, on top of the 163 it had in the first 15 years.
Mon 28: Please don't leave a comment telling me that PIN Number is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome. I know it is but I chose to write it anyway, just like I sometimes deliberately write less when you'd prefer me to write fewer, because in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.


<< click for Newer posts

click for Older Posts >>


click to return to the main page


...or read more in my monthly archives
Jan26  Feb26  Mar26  Apr26  May26  Jun26  Jul26  Aug26  Sep26
Jan25  Feb25  Mar25  Apr25  May25  Jun25  Jul25  Aug25  Sep25  Oct25  Nov25  Dec25
Jan24  Feb24  Mar24  Apr24  May24  Jun24  Jul24  Aug24  Sep24  Oct24  Nov24  Dec24
Jan23  Feb23  Mar23  Apr23  May23  Jun23  Jul23  Aug23  Sep23  Oct23  Nov23  Dec23
Jan22  Feb22  Mar22  Apr22  May22  Jun22  Jul22  Aug22  Sep22  Oct22  Nov22  Dec22
Jan21  Feb21  Mar21  Apr21  May21  Jun21  Jul21  Aug21  Sep21  Oct21  Nov21  Dec21
Jan20  Feb20  Mar20  Apr20  May20  Jun20  Jul20  Aug20  Sep20  Oct20  Nov20  Dec20
Jan19  Feb19  Mar19  Apr19  May19  Jun19  Jul19  Aug19  Sep19  Oct19  Nov19  Dec19
Jan18  Feb18  Mar18  Apr18  May18  Jun18  Jul18  Aug18  Sep18  Oct18  Nov18  Dec18
Jan17  Feb17  Mar17  Apr17  May17  Jun17  Jul17  Aug17  Sep17  Oct17  Nov17  Dec17
Jan16  Feb16  Mar16  Apr16  May16  Jun16  Jul16  Aug16  Sep16  Oct16  Nov16  Dec16
Jan15  Feb15  Mar15  Apr15  May15  Jun15  Jul15  Aug15  Sep15  Oct15  Nov15  Dec15
Jan14  Feb14  Mar14  Apr14  May14  Jun14  Jul14  Aug14  Sep14  Oct14  Nov14  Dec14
Jan13  Feb13  Mar13  Apr13  May13  Jun13  Jul13  Aug13  Sep13  Oct13  Nov13  Dec13
Jan12  Feb12  Mar12  Apr12  May12  Jun12  Jul12  Aug12  Sep12  Oct12  Nov12  Dec12
Jan11  Feb11  Mar11  Apr11  May11  Jun11  Jul11  Aug11  Sep11  Oct11  Nov11  Dec11
Jan10  Feb10  Mar10  Apr10  May10  Jun10  Jul10  Aug10  Sep10  Oct10  Nov10  Dec10
Jan09  Feb09  Mar09  Apr09  May09  Jun09  Jul09  Aug09  Sep09  Oct09  Nov09  Dec09
Jan08  Feb08  Mar08  Apr08  May08  Jun08  Jul08  Aug08  Sep08  Oct08  Nov08  Dec08
Jan07  Feb07  Mar07  Apr07  May07  Jun07  Jul07  Aug07  Sep07  Oct07  Nov07  Dec07
Jan06  Feb06  Mar06  Apr06  May06  Jun06  Jul06  Aug06  Sep06  Oct06  Nov06  Dec06
Jan05  Feb05  Mar05  Apr05  May05  Jun05  Jul05  Aug05  Sep05  Oct05  Nov05  Dec05
Jan04  Feb04  Mar04  Apr04  May04  Jun04  Jul04  Aug04  Sep04  Oct04  Nov04  Dec04
Jan03  Feb03  Mar03  Apr03  May03  Jun03  Jul03  Aug03  Sep03  Oct03  Nov03  Dec03
 Jan02  Feb02  Mar02  Apr02  May02  Jun02  Jul02 Aug02  Sep02  Oct02  Nov02  Dec02 
















jack of diamonds
Life viewed from London E3

» email me
» follow me on twitter
» follow the blog on twitter
» follow the blog on Bluesky
» follow the blog on RSS

» my flickr photostream

twenty blogs
our bow
arseblog
ian visits
londonist
on london
blue witch
the great wen
london centric
edith's streets
spitalfields life
fifteensquared
linkmachinego
round the island
wanstead meteo
christopher fowler
bus and train user
ruth's coastal walk
the greenwich wire
round the rails we go
london reconnections

quick reference features
Things to do in Outer London
Things to do outside London
London's waymarked walks
Inner London toilet map
20 years of blog series
The DG Tour of Britain
London's most...

read the archive
Sep26
Aug26  Jul26  Jun26  May26
Apr26  Mar26  Feb26  Jan26
Dec25  Nov25  Oct25  Sep25
Aug25  Jul25  Jun25  May25
Apr25  Mar25  Feb25  Jan25
Dec24  Nov24  Oct24  Sep24
Aug24  Jul24  Jun24  May24
Apr24  Mar24  Feb24  Jan24
Dec23  Nov23  Oct23  Sep23
Aug23  Jul23  Jun23  May23
Apr23  Mar23  Feb23  Jan23
Dec22  Nov22  Oct22  Sep22
Aug22  Jul22  Jun22  May22
Apr22  Mar22  Feb22  Jan22
Dec21  Nov21  Oct21  Sep21
Aug21  Jul21  Jun21  May21
Apr21  Mar21  Feb21  Jan21
Dec20  Nov20  Oct20  Sep20
Aug20  Jul20  Jun20  May20
Apr20  Mar20  Feb20  Jan20
Dec19  Nov19  Oct19  Sep19
Aug19  Jul19  Jun19  May19
Apr19  Mar19  Feb19  Jan19
Dec18  Nov18  Oct18  Sep18
Aug18  Jul18  Jun18  May18
Apr18  Mar18  Feb18  Jan18
Dec17  Nov17  Oct17  Sep17
Aug17  Jul17  Jun17  May17
Apr17  Mar17  Feb17  Jan17
Dec16  Nov16  Oct16  Sep16
Aug16  Jul16  Jun16  May16
Apr16  Mar16  Feb16  Jan16
Dec15  Nov15  Oct15  Sep15
Aug15  Jul15  Jun15  May15
Apr15  Mar15  Feb15  Jan15
Dec14  Nov14  Oct14  Sep14
Aug14  Jul14  Jun14  May14
Apr14  Mar14  Feb14  Jan14
Dec13  Nov13  Oct13  Sep13
Aug13  Jul13  Jun13  May13
Apr13  Mar13  Feb13  Jan13
Dec12  Nov12  Oct12  Sep12
Aug12  Jul12  Jun12  May12
Apr12  Mar12  Feb12  Jan12
Dec11  Nov11  Oct11  Sep11
Aug11  Jul11  Jun11  May11
Apr11  Mar11  Feb11  Jan11
Dec10  Nov10  Oct10  Sep10
Aug10  Jul10  Jun10  May10
Apr10  Mar10  Feb10  Jan10
Dec09  Nov09  Oct09  Sep09
Aug09  Jul09  Jun09  May09
Apr09  Mar09  Feb09  Jan09
Dec08  Nov08  Oct08  Sep08
Aug08  Jul08  Jun08  May08
Apr08  Mar08  Feb08  Jan08
Dec07  Nov07  Oct07  Sep07
Aug07  Jul07  Jun07  May07
Apr07  Mar07  Feb07  Jan07
Dec06  Nov06  Oct06  Sep06
Aug06  Jul06  Jun06  May06
Apr06  Mar06  Feb06  Jan06
Dec05  Nov05  Oct05  Sep05
Aug05  Jul05  Jun05  May05
Apr05  Mar05  Feb05  Jan05
Dec04  Nov04  Oct04  Sep04
Aug04  Jul04  Jun04  May04
Apr04  Mar04  Feb04  Jan04
Dec03  Nov03  Oct03  Sep03
Aug03  Jul03  Jun03  May03
Apr03  Mar03  Feb03  Jan03
Dec02  Nov02  Oct02  Sep02
back to main page

the diamond geezer index
2025 2024 2023 2022
2021 2020 2019 2018 2017
2016 2015 2014 2013 2012
2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
2006 2005 2004 2003 2002

my special London features
a-z of london museums
E3 - local history month
greenwich meridian (N)
greenwich meridian (S)
the real eastenders
london's lost rivers
olympic park 2007
great british roads
oranges & lemons
random boroughs
bow road station
high street 2012
river westbourne
trafalgar square
capital numbers
east london line
lea valley walk
olympics 2005
regent's canal
square routes
silver jubilee
unlost rivers
cube routes
Herbert Dip
metro-land
capital ring
river fleet
piccadilly
bakerloo

ten of my favourite posts
the seven ages of blog
my new Z470xi mobile
five equations of blog
the dome of doom
chemical attraction
quality & risk
london 2102
single life
boredom
april fool

ten sets of lovely photos
my "most interesting" photos
london 2012 olympic zone
harris and the hebrides
betjeman's metro-land
marking the meridian
tracing the river fleet
london's lost rivers
inside the gherkin
seven sisters
iceland

just surfed in?
here's where to find...
diamond geezers
flash mob #1  #2  #3  #4
ben schott's miscellany
london underground
watch with mother
cigarette warnings
digital time delay
wheelie suitcases
war of the worlds
transit of venus
top of the pops
old buckenham
ladybird books
acorn antiques
digital watches
outer hebrides
olympics 2012
school dinners
pet shop boys
west wycombe
bletchley park
george orwell
big breakfast
clapton pond
san francisco
thunderbirds
routemaster
children's tv
east enders
trunk roads
amsterdam
little britain
credit cards
jury service
big brother
jubilee line
number 1s
titan arum
typewriters
doctor who
coronation
comments
blue peter
matchgirls
hurricanes
buzzwords
brookside
monopoly
peter pan
starbucks
feng shui
leap year
manbags
bbc three
vision on
piccadilly
meridian
concorde
wembley
islington
ID cards
bedtime
freeview
beckton
blogads
eclipses
letraset
arsenal
sitcoms
gherkin
calories
everest
muffins
sudoku
camilla
london
ceefax
robbie
becks
dome
BBC2
paris
lotto
118
itv