Monday, December 29, 2008
My Top 5 albums of 2008
(because I only bought five, so this is easy)
1) Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours: Because everybody needs a favourite obscure band nobody else loves, and mine's from Melbourne. You might try sampling Lights and Music as an introduction to their catchy electronica, or maybe Feel The Love (but I'd rather you didn't, and I kept their marvellousness exclusively to myself). I think my heart's still in 1981.
2) Neon Neon - Stainless Style: An 80s style DeLorean-themed concept album from one of the Super Furry Animals - it so shouldn't work, but so does. And should've won the Mercury.
3) Hot Chip - Made In The Dark: As soon as bouncy chugging Ready For The Floor was released back in January, I knew this catchy little album was going to be a 2008 favourite.
4) MGMT - Oracular Spectacular: Futuristic pop retro, including the majestic Time To Pretend (which I've adored since it graced the Skins season 2 finale)
5) The Streets - Everything is Borrowed: Not Mikey's best, but definitely heading back in the right direction.
(it's still all proper physical albums at DG Towers, none of this electronic download nonsense)
(and yeah, I know I'm carving a narrow musical niche here, but I know what I like)